Bedfordshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Kathryn Holloway, has thanked residents who responded to her fourth annual survey. This asked the people of Bedfordshire to have their say on policing and crime in their area.
There were 318 respondents, which was down on the 560 responses to the 2019 survey (there were 1218 responses in 2018)
Burglary and anti-social behaviour were issues residents felt most concerned by within their communities, with drug dealing and county lines also frequently mentioned.
In this year’s survey, 69% of respondents stated they feel safe in the area they live in. In 2019, 10.26% said that they felt ‘very safe’ and 46.70% said that they felt ‘safe’ (a total of 56.96%). Commissioner Holloway said:
“I really do appreciate and thank all of you who have taken the time to complete the annual survey. The results form part of my frank discussions with the Force over what the communities of Bedfordshire experience from their police service.”
60% of people surveyed were unaware of the locations of police stations and hubs, and how many there were in Bedfordshire. In response to this, the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) has launched a factsheet and bespoke survey to the town and parish councils. The PCC’s annual council event was unable to go ahead due to the pandemic.
In the last three years, 30% of residents surveyed said that they had been a victim of crime. Additional comments revealed the impact that crime can have on those who are close to the victim. Looking ahead, the OPCC will be working with the PCC’s service for victims, Signpost, to focus on a campaign supporting family and friends of victims of crime and how it can have an impact on their wellbeing.
A new project, Victim Needs Assessment, aims to provide an updated focus on how victims can be supported through the commissioning process and Signpost. Commissioner Holloway said:
“Being able to engage with all communities is vital for my role as I need to understand the views of the people of Bedfordshire and what issues particularly affect them. The Victim Needs Assessment will provide key indicators as to the services that are required across the county.”
If you have been affected by a crime, Signpost offers free and confidential support to victims in Bedfordshire, whether it has been reported to police or not and irrespective of where and when the crime occurred. Contact 0800 0282 887 or visit www.signpostforbedfordshire.com for further information.
Headline results of the 2020 PCC survey 2020 can be downloaded from here.