Nine in 10 parents “find BBFC age ratings on Netflix useful in helping them to choose content well for their family”
Netflix is the first streaming service in the UK to carry a BBFC age rating on all its TV series and feature films. This, the BBFC said, helps families choose content with confidence.
This partnership between a streaming service and the regulator is an industry first.
David Austin, chief executive of the BBFC, said:
“With people spending increasing amounts of time online, it’s more important than ever for families to have clear, consistent advice on content so they can choose well.
“This innovative partnership with one of the biggest services in the UK has allowed us to do just that – and we’re delighted that Netflix’s entire UK catalogue now carries BBFC age ratings, which people know and trust.
“No matter what families choose to watch, they can watch with confidence.”
Netflix applies BBFC Guidelines standards to content, with the BBFC setting those standards and auditing ratings to ensure consistency. Jessica Stansfield, director of Ratings Policy and Compliance at Netflix, said:
“BBFC age ratings are trusted in the UK, and together we’re now providing our members with the information they need.
“Our continuing partnership with the BBFC allows us to ensure our members always press play on content that is right for them and their families.”
According to recent BBFC research, nearly nine in ten (88%) of parents find BBFC age ratings on Netflix useful in helping them to choose content well for their family.
Netflix has also improved its parental controls based on BBFC data and member feedback. Parents can now:
- Pin protect individual profiles to prevent kids using them
- Tailor their kids Netflix experience by filtering out titles that are not appropriate for their age based on BBFC ratings
- Remove individual series or films by title. When this filter is used, the blocked title(s) won’t show up anywhere in that profile
- Easily review each profile’s setting using the “Profile and Parental Controls” hub within account settings
- See what their kids have been watching within the profile created for them
- Turn off auto play of episodes in kids profiles