“Performances of death-defying feats…mixed with raw beauty and a celebration of the human body that was breath-taking” – Boxing Over Broadway, USA
Dance Consortium has been touring the very best international contemporary dance throughout the UK and Ireland for over 20 years.
This autumn it presents the first UK tour for eleven years by Canadian contemporary circus group The 7 Fingers.
The collective’s mission is to redefine circus; stripping the spectacle down to its thrilling essence and fusing it with dance, theatre, multimedia, music and storytelling.
It has gained a reputation for telling human stories with life-enhancing theatricality, warmth and humour.
In Passagers, show director and company co-founder Shana Carroll plays with our fascination with travel, both nostalgic and symbolic. A colourful and diverse group of strangers meet onboard a train.
Through the course of their journey, in a temporarily-suspended reality, they get to know each other, sharing their stories and revealing their emotional states through virtuoso acrobatics – vaulting somersaults, breathtaking trapeze, daredevil balances on the highwire – along with contemporary dance, narrative, song and original music by Colin Gagné.
Shana Carroll said:
“Passagers was originally designed as an ode to travel – departure versus arrival, chance versus choice, familiar versus foreign, confinement versus border-crossing.
“Those themes have taken on a new meaning for us all these days, with the very idea of departing or arriving feeling like a distant pipe dream.
“Border-crossing is now fraught with risks, regulations and complications and confinement was the unifying theme for everyone.
“The show has now taken on a whole other dimension I’m not sure I could ever have imagined. I hope it will make us treasure the days of simple, liberating travel and celebrate a return to greater freedoms.”
7 Facts about The 7 Fingers
Here are 7 things you might not know about them….
- In 2002, The 7 Fingers was founded by 7 circus artists from the world-renowned Cirque de Soleil. Their mission was nothing less than reinventing the artform!
- They specialised in swinging and static trapeze, clowning, hand-to-hand, aerial chains, aerial silk contortion, knife-juggling, diabolo, hand-balancing as well as theatre, singing and contemporary dance
- They’ve performed on America’s Got Talent, at 3 Olympic Games, the Oscars, The Royal Variety Performance and the UEFA Euro 2020 launch
- The 9 Passagers performers come from 4 different continents and 4 different countries – Argentina, Canada, France and South Africa
- Between them the performers spend 63 hours a day training in the run-up to a tour
- The 7 Fingers used their time during lockdown to make their first film
- Over the past 19 years, they have performed to 7 million people in 936 theatres in 672 cities in 54 countries. Milton Keynes Theatre will become the 938th theatre!
The 7 Fingers many credits include intimate one-man shows, large-scale arena performances, Broadway musicals, artistic collaborations with renowned international artists and companies, production design and direction, special events, Olympic ceremonies, televised performances, fashion, art and music events, and immersive experiences, all bearing the company’s unmistakable stamp.
The 7 Fingers come to Milton Keynes Theatre on Friday 24 & Saturday 25 September. Tickets: 0844 871 7615 / ATGTICKETS.COM/MiltonKeynes*
*fees may apply